Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

How to address the gun contol issue...

MGO Members,

This latest tragedy in Conneticut has sparked further debate about gun control. In January, when the 113th Congress convenes, Diane Feinstein, and her ilk are going to roll out some pretty heavy-handed gun control legislation. http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons NRA will be leading the fight on this at the national level, however, it is VERY important that we, as Michigan gun owners, do our very best to make our case to those who are ignorant about guns understand why more gun control measures are not the answer. Additionally, we need to enforce the laws on the books, and even expand the ability for good guys to be able to have access to guns so they can stop the bad guys. Here is a helpful list of "talking points" to help you articulate your point to someone who is on the fence or even anti-gun:

1) The guns are not the culprit, our society is. The desensitization of our children to violence via video gaming, movies, television and even the news media is a large contibuting factor. Additionally, we have greatly reduced the amount of funding for mental health facilities for people with disorders. They really have no place to go to get help because we have made so many cuts in this area. Bottom line is that this problem is cultural in nature and we ALL helped create it, through our actions and inactions. We did not have these issues in the 60's and 70's, and AR-15's were in existence at that time as well. Loosen them up a bit with this analogy: Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat...that outta give them a little perspective, and a laugh as well.

2) We advertise schools, movie theatres and churches as "gun free" zones, and that further exacerbates the problem, as it turns them into CEZ's or criminal empowerment zones. People hellbent on creating havoc while meeting limited resistence KNOW then can acheive their goal in these places. We need to create an environment where the success of their mission is reduced by allowing for an armed person or persons to be there to challenge them.

3) Point out how hypocritical we have become with what we consider to be important in our lives. We protect our money (in banks) with guns, we protect our celebrities, politicians, and even our president with guns. This is all acceptable, yet our most precious asset, our children, we want to leave unprotected. Even a police officer in every school would be beneficial if they don't want teachers or concealed carry people involved. However, financially, it would make more sense to allow teachers the ability to carry if they so chose, or to allow PROPERLY TRAINED CPL holders to carry in schools.

4) Use this analogy: It is like having cameras watching an area. Criminals will avoid these places because they fear being detected, and identified, thus leading to their capture. Is somebody ALWAYS WATCHING the cameras?...No, but they COULD be, and that serves as a deterrent. Not knowing where an armed good guy is in their targeted establishment creates uncertainty, thus deterring them from choosing it as a potential target. It is this UNCERTAINTY that will tip the scales in the good guys favor.

5) Point out that these so-called "assault weapons" (a media-spun term) are actually used for a variety of legitimate purposes, such as varmint hunting (prairie dogs, coyotes, etc), CMP matches, competitive action shooting, and yes, even in defense of hearth and home. These guns are not used "exclusively" for violence as the media likes to portray. I usually use the term "Homeland Defense Rifle" instead of "assault rifle", thus illustrating that it can be "spun" any way one desires...This approach usually illicits a chuckle. Showing them that even dads deer rifle is semi-automatic, and that these new laws would outlaw more than the politicians will have you know, sometimes gets them thinking.

6) Lastly, DO NOT get into a heated argument. Keep it a "discussion". Emotions are running high right now, particularly because of the ages of the majority of the victims. Be civil, maintain a non-agressive tone, and if the other person gets all wound up, back off a little. Overblown rhetoric will not win people over, only with a well thought out presentation of facts can we hope to sway them to our side. Go out of your way to appear conciliatory. This was a God-awful thing that happened. We need to be sincere with our delivery. We have to show that we want this problem addressed as badly as they do, BUT IN THE RIGHT WAY!!! We do not want more ineffective gun laws that criminals are not going to abide by anyway. We need more good guys with a gun, as that is the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun!!!

Even if we can make people "understand" our position, we are gaining ground. Don't expect to turn someone in one conversation...just make them think about it a little bit. Good luck in your efforts, and please report back in this thread what objections are still being raised after you point out the above facts. If you have anything you would like to add to what was said above, please do so. We will need to constantly "tweak" our message and adjust our argument to address these objections!!!

Jeff LaFave
    MGO President
    Last edited by Barrettone; 12-29-2012 at 02:24 PM.

MGO Member Forum User
    Well said

MGO Board of Directors

Thank You.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for this well written advice on ways to discuss the violence that has occurred and the backlash that is following. I agree that we must protect our children from the "bad" guns with "good" guns when required.

Each of us must calmly express our opinions whenever we can to prevent our being further restricted from protecting ourselves and our children.

I am a Forum User
    Chesterfield & Algers (Secord Lake, Wildwood near Lost Arrow)

NRA Leading The Fight

Thanks for the list, it was very well written and helpful. At times it is better to not become emotional during a debate and use a convincing fact embedded statement as above instead of just 'Guns don't kill people, People kill people' word track.
    I emailed the list to myself for study purposes.

"NRA will be leading the fight on this at the national level".
    I was just wondering if MGO contributes monetarily to the leagal costs of this fight or being Michigan based just contributes to laws that affect us as gun owners in Michigan? As an NRA member I know our dues and donations to ILA help with this endeavor. However, there is a storm coming and like storm Sandy at times we need to send relief.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MC_Driver
    Thanks for the list, it was very well written and helpful. At times it is better to not become emotional during a debate and use a convincing fact embedded statement as above instead of just 'Guns don't kill people, People kill people' word track.
    I emailed the list to myself for study purposes.

"NRA will be leading the fight on this at the national level".
    I was just wondering if MGO contributes monetarily to the leagal costs of this fight or being Michigan based just contributes to laws that affect us as gun owners in Michigan? As an NRA member I know our dues and donations to ILA help with this endeavor. However, there is a storm coming and like storm Sandy at times we need to send relief
    We will be utilizing our funds to mobilize our Michigan base. Additionally, we will be joining a coalition of other like-mined organizations to fight this legislation. More details will be forthcoming soon.

MGO Member
    Very helpful info Jeff! Well said! Thanks for posting this.

I am a Forum User
    Montcalm Co. Random thought poster lacking proper filtering skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettone
    We will be utilizing our funds to mobilize our Michigan base. Additionally, we will be joining a coalition of other like-mined organizations to fight this legislation. More details will be forthcoming soon.

I will be waiting to hear a follow up on this

MGO Board of Directors

My MGO membership is paid through next year.
    I made sure my NRA membership was current.

I am a Forum User

Coalition Report

Let me start by saying that this thread is NOT to devolve into anything but talking about the potential upcoming AWB legislation and our fight against it. With that said, here is what I can tell you at this time. MGO has formed a coalition with MCRGO, MOC, Jews for the Protection of Firearms Ownership, MUCC, Skip Coryell's Second Amendment March, Michigan Gun Rights and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. This stems from a joint statement we all made regarding SB59.

We are now going to work together on fighting this upcoming AWB legislation, and I have included the parameters of this coalition below:

In the recent successful push to have Senate Bill 59 adopted by the Michigan Legislature, MCRGO, Michigan Open Carry, MUCC, Michigan Gun Owners, and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus worked together to achieve a common position in support of the bill and issued a joint statement to that effect.

Our organizations, along with SAFR, have discussed the creation of a permanent collaborative effort both to coordinate a shared message and strategy on gun rights and also to avoid stepping on each others' toes.

With the Sandy Hook shooting, the veto of SB 59 and the national push for more gun control laws, there is a new burst of energy in fighting to protect our gun rights in Michigan. Over the past month, we've seen tremendous gains in both the number of new paid members joining our organizations as well as people following us on Facebook. We're aware that along with new followers, there is also new interest in people looking to take a leadership role in gun rights.

Over the past couple weeks, we've helped organize a group of pro-gun women who will be operating an organization independent of MCRGO and we've become aware of interest in forming a collaborative effort from other groups such as Jews for the Protection of Firearms Ownership. New groups like Michigan Gun Rights, which describes itself as “the official gun rights page of the state of Michigan,” are also springing up. Skip Coryell's Second Amendment March has asked for all of our cooperation on a new march on Lansing in the spring. We also expect to soon see a group focused primarily on constitutional carry.

We're asking groups that are interested in joining a permanent collaborative effort to name one person from their organization who can speak for that organization to serve as a contact. Due to people's different locations and schedules, we will likely communicate primarily by e-mail and conference calls. Note this collaboration will not be formal in structure and won't become a new organization itself and no group will be bound by any joint policy decisions. It's simply to serve as a communications tool.

If you're interested, please contact me with the name of a representative from your group along with that person's e-mail and telephone number.

Thank you and Happy New Year,

Brady Schickinger
    Legislative Director
    MCRGO

I will NOT TOLERATE any bad-mouthing of any of these organizations as it regards this fight that we are all in together. We have a common enemy, and whether you shoot shotguns, rifles, pistols or black powder, or carry concealled or openly, this threat is very real to your sport and/or recreational pursuit with firearms. Gun grabbers work in increments. They may not be coming for your gun today, but they won't be far behind to get yours if they experience success in other areas for gun control.

So, all this said, we're in the same boat, and we will be fighting this with everything we've got. We have a 2A Defense Fund with monies allocated to efforts such as this, and the BoD will be looking at how we can most judiciously put those assets to work in Michigan so we can deliver the support the NRA needs from our state. After-all, Michigan grass-roots activism is what we are all about!!!

There is also another coalition of different state-wide organizations that is forming to take a hard line with the NRA to offer NO COMPROMISE on gun control so they do not "make a deal". I am looking into them, but I fear that getting involved nationally may be beyond our mandate if funding is required. I am waiting to see what they are proposing first.

Jeff LaFave
    MGO President
    Last edited by Barrettone; 12-31-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast